Abnormal start to spring quarter

Students reflect on classes scheduled, canceled during Holy Week
Students spend time in Tiffany Loop on Tuesday evening, April 2, 2024, in Seattle. (Rio Giancarlo)

As the start of 2024’s spring quarter coincided with the Christian observance of Holy Week, Seattle Pacific University is emptier than usual. The first week of classes was shortened to two days, resulting in many professors canceling classes until after the Easter holiday.

With two classes canceled and another over Zoom, Madeira Masterson, a sophomore apparel merchandising major, decided to stay home in Oahu, Hawaii for another six days. During spring break, Masterson enjoyed spending time with family at the beach and did not see a reason to return to school for only one class. 

“It felt kinda pointless to go back to campus and have one class and not have classes for another three days,” Masterson said. “A lot of the people that I know just went back to campus because of one class that didn’t cancel.”

Allyson Walworth, a senior English major, lives in Edmonds, Washington, only half an hour from campus. Many seats around her were empty, but Walworth returned to campus for all her academic courses.

“I think because I live so close, about a 30-min drive, it was more just kinda funny for me. I could see that for people who were out-of-state, it could be a much bigger problem,” Walworth said. 

While Walworth was able to make the quick trip back home for an Easter and birthday celebration, she recognized that having the quarter start before a significant holiday presented many students with a difficult decision.

“I think it would be really frustrating. It would either be, you come to class in person and spend all that money on plane tickets and travel, or you don’t and are potentially penalized for not showing up for two days,” Walworth said.

Although many students were frustrated or confused by the start of the quarter, others were simply happy to be back in routine. Jay Stefanik, a junior business and economics major, enjoyed coming back to school and scheduled classes regardless of the shortened beginning week. 

“I’m genuinely excited to be in classes cause I like learning, so it was really cool. Plus, that first day is always important to me because it makes an impression,” Stefanik said.

While the quarter’s beginning seemed awkward, one thing is certain: students are springing into the new quarter. As flowers bloom and books are dusted off, this abnormal start will not stop April showers from bringing May flowers.