Students of SPU: Don’t rush art

A student’s journey of musical side-hustle

Talia Parlane, Staff Writer

Claire Conway has kept her passion for music alive over the course of her college career at Seattle Pacific. The release of her 2021 EP “Be Good” is evident of this. (Courtesy of Claire Conway)

Inboxes explode with emails, Google Calendar is crowded with clashing colors and appointments and the little number beside Canvas’s ‘to-do’ assignments seems to get higher and higher everyday.

As students, it can sometimes feel as though there is a pressure to adhere to the laws of time and choose between one’s passions and studies. When it comes to what is possible in terms of pursuing hobbies while simultaneously balancing schoolwork and career preparation, Seattle Pacific University student Claire Conway is a prime example.

Claire Conway is currently a fourth-year French and visual communications double major. With the release of her recent EP, “Be Good,” Conway continues to pursue her ambitions in the realm of music while obtaining her undergraduate degree.

In reference to the origin of her musical journey, Conway described some of her first encounters with singing and instrumental lessons.

“I’ve been singing and playing music since I was a kid,” said Conway. “I first started taking piano lessons, I wanna say, at the age of eight. I’ve been song-writing since I was 10 or 11, and I’ve played guitar since I was 12, so it’s been kind of a life-long thing.”

Even though she had displayed a passion for music from a young age, Conway’s journey was not without its struggles. Like many people, there was a time when Conway experienced a bit of a dwindling in ambition regarding her hobbies.

“When I was probably 10 or 11, I quit [taking piano lessons],” said Conway.

While Conway decided to walk away from music for a time, her passion and artistry never fully disappeared.

“A year or two later, I decided that I wanted to go back to it, and I took piano lessons back up,” said Conway. “So, it’s always kind of been a thing that I’ve gone after. It’s always been something that I’ve felt excited about.”

Despite music being an important part of her life and identity, Conway decided to take a bit of a different route when it came to academics.

“There was a time when I was considering studying music, but it’s always been something that I really feel like had to come from me,” said Conway. “I didn’t want it to become work or something I felt like I had to do. It’s definitely more of a creative outlet for me.”

When asked to describe the process of putting together “Be Good,” Conway mentioned that the album had been a product of several years of writing, as well as help from her long-time friend and producer.

“My producer, who’s been a good friend of mine since high school, contacted me,” said Conway. “We’d been talking about a new EP for a while. He actually recorded my last one as well. Having someone on board and ready to dive into the project with me kind of pushed me to finish writing.”

Regarding goals and ambitious pursuits, a short-term goal that Conway described was taking her talents on the road.

“I went on my very first little tour this summer,” said Conway. “It was like a week-long thing, five or six shows, and I just absolutely loved it. That was the least stressed I had been in months. I felt very alive and present. I would love to go on a longer tour at some point after I graduate.”

Currently, Conway is balancing a double major, internship, music and a variety of other activities. Conway described all of these commitments as time-consuming and sometimes tiring, especially if she neglects her chances to take breaks.

“For me, especially over the course of the pandemic, I’ve just realized that I can’t be effective, productive or even functional if I’m not finding time to rest and taking care of myself,” said Conway. “So, I think, since starting college, one thing that’s become really non-negotiable for me, in general, is sleeping enough.”

In the end, Conway emphasized the importance of space and allowing for a natural creative process, especially with regards to not rushing or forcing ideas.

“I feel like what’s been most important to me, in my journey with music, has been just letting it unfold and allowing myself to discover things along the way,” said Conway. “I think letting yourself get caught up in feeling like you’re not doing enough or you’re not making it to that next milestone quickly enough can really kill the creative process. So I would say, just give yourself time. Because, I don’t think you can rush creativity or art.”

Claire Conway’s EP “Be Good” is available to stream on Spotify and Apple Music.