Another quarter in the bag

SPU students reflect on how they spent their breaks, what is to come
Students work in Ames Library on Tuesday, Jan. 9, 2023, in Seattle. (Rio Giancarlo)

Holiday cheer is in the past and now, Seattle Pacific University students must acclimate to the new year and quarter.

While some students return to their dorms for the quarter, many upperclassmen live either off campus or in campus apartments. Where a student lives can present challenges when transitioning from a long winter break to a busy quarter.

Shaye Martin, a senior sociology student, stayed in her campus apartment to work during the break. An extended break allows students to create financial security for the upcoming quarter and have extended time with families and loved ones. However, Martin struggles with getting back into the quarter’s pace.

“It’s definitely a transition that I have to get used to throughout the week. It’s been kind of tiring, because I was used to the same schedule of sleeping in a little bit and just going to work,” Martin said.

Martin began her education at SPU in 2020 and has only ever experienced the extended six-week winter break. Starting in the 2024-25 academic year, SPU will be reverting back to a shorter break. The original extension of the break was to reduce the spread of COVID-19, but it has now been determined unnecessary. Martin also expressed the challenges that come with having so much time off school.

“Being able to pay off the next quarter, like saving up, is a big deal. I’ve really appreciated having a longer break, but it also makes it harder having to transition out of it because you’ve had a break for so long,” Martin said.

Abby Livengood, a junior sociology student who lives off campus, spent her break with family and friends. However, returning fully to an academic mindset can be difficult when a person does not have the touchstone of living back on campus.

“It’s a little weird because normally you’d get to campus and be like, ‘Oh, it’s time to be academic,” Livengood said. “I just show up at school, and it’s not the same. I’ve been living at home [off campus in Seattle] this whole time.”

While Livengood is excited to start her classes, the dreary weather and end to the holidays bring their own set of challenges, as they do to many students across campus.

“Winter quarter is always the hardest cause you don’t have the excitement of coming back [from summer break], and you also don’t have the excitement of it almost being summer,” Livengood said.

The cold weather and the start of a new year provide good reasons to dust off self-care techniques and start the new year on the right foot. Kenzie Chan, junior English literature major and Livengood’s roommate, is determined to do just that. With her busy school and workload, weekends have become a priority for relaxation and preparation.

“I’m trying not to fill up my weekends this quarter. Normally I fill my weekends with plans since it’s my only time with friends, but this quarter I’m trying to keep at least a day open that’s just focused on catching up and preparing for the week ahead,” Chan said.

It may be a general consensus that the winter quarter is among students’ least favorite, but one cannot help but think of new possibilities with the slight frosty bite in the air. As SPU students transition into another quarter and another year, it’s a great time to reflect on quarters past and those to come.