Shell Station loses cash register to burglars

Suspects entered the station with a knife, left within two minutes
Seattle Police Department vehicles are parked Nickerson Street as SPD responded to an armed robbery at the Shell gas station across from he art center on Wednesday, Jan. 3, 2023. The robbery occurred around 5:20 p.m. before the robbers fled away from the Seattle Pacific University campus. (Rio Giancarlo)

As Seattle Pacific University students returned home from their first day of classes on Jan. 3, the Shell Station located next to SPU’s art center was entered by two men — one armed with a knife.

The suspects entered the station at 5:20 p.m., threatening the cashier with the weapon and pinning them to the ground. One minute later, the suspects fled the scene with a cash register. The cashier was not injured.

Director of Safety and Security Cheryl Michaels sent a campus security notice to SPU faculty, staff and students on the afternoon of Jan. 4, the day after the incident. 

“[A] witness […] reported the two men were seen running to a dark Ford Focus parked on W. Dravus Street,” read the email. “The car immediately drove away from campus — again verified by the witness and video footage.”

Officers from the Seattle Police Department responded immediately, their investigation was aided, according to Michaels’ email, by SPU’s Office of Safety and Security.

Gabe Endresen is a junior history major at SPU and runs on the track and field and cross country teams.

“When I heard about the robbery, I was […] concerned for the people there and students who live near the Shell,” Endresen wrote in an email.

The email included photos of the suspects and their vehicle. Michaels urges members of the SPU community to review them and contact OSS with any information.

“I felt like OSS responded well to the incident and did a good job sending the word about the robbery and information,” Endreson wrote. “I think they should make sure to send information like that out as soon as possible to help protect the well being of students, especially those with evening classes.”

Should anyone encounter the suspects or vehicle, they are urged by OSS to refrain from engaging and move quickly to a secure location. They should call 206-281-2911 or use yellow emergency phones on campus.