MODE steps beyond fashion in new year

A preview of SPU’s fashion club’s coming events
MODE officers (from left to right) Lupe Esscobedo, Jennifer Le, Jady Alonso, MacKenzie Swenson, Stephanie Menegon and Katie Taggart address club members at the first meeting of the quarter on Tuesday, Jan. 9, 2024, in Seattle. (Rio Giancarlo)

After a long break, Seattle Pacific University’s fashion scene is back. MODE’s leaders and members look for new opportunities to create fashion-centered activities and events throughout each school year.

Jennifer Le, a fourth-year apparel design student and public relations manager for MODE, is passionate about creating great events. Her biggest motivator for creating these events, such as the MODE fashion show, an annual event hosted by MODE to highlight the work of student stylists, is creating opportunities for exposure in the fashion world. 

“We want to give students interested in fashion an opportunity to know what it’s like to work in the fashion industry,” Le said. “We want to give those opportunities for those students to have, so in the future, when they graduate, they’ll have that leverage in their portfolios.”

Fifth-year apparel design and apparel merchandising student and MODE President Katie Taggart explained that MODE is already planning events for the end of the spring quarter.

“The final event we currently have planned is the Fashion Show which will be on May 11,” Taggart said. “The theme for this year’s show is ‘Myths and Legends: the Stories that Inspire Us.’ The concept of the theme is that each designer or stylist participating in the show has to present a collection that is inspired by myths, legends, or storytelling in some way.”

Le is not the only one who hopes to see MODE and its events grow in the future. Stephanie Menegon, a fourth-year apparel merchandise student and the vice president of MODE, explained that she hopes time will allow MODE events to grow.

“Obviously, the fashion show is our annual tradition to hold, and pre-COVID, it was a really big event, but because of COVID, it wasn’t as big, and we’d like to try and grow it again,” Menegon said. “We’re being flexible with what we do, because we’ve tried to grow what we do to not just be fashion but art in general. Seeing the growth of the community, branching out, trying new things would be really fun to watch.”

Regarding events for the winter quarter, MODE mapped out a game plan. One of these events will hopefully start things off strong with a fashion-filled day to bring the community together.

“This month, on Friday, Jan. 26, we have a clothing swap,” Le said. “It’s free of charge, you can come in, check in with us, and donate your clothes to us too. It’s a free-for-all, you can take anything you want, and all items left over will be donated to charity.”

Though much of what MODE has in store for the future is already sketched out, some personal goals of Le’s for the group are still works in progress. The Luly Yang Fashion Show, a fashion show that MODE was given backstage access to, was a key event Le hopes to emulate in the future.

“I would like us to have more internship possibilities,” Le said. “The Luly Yang Fashion Show gave us an opportunity to see what a fashion show looks like behind the scenes. I thought it was just a fun opportunity that we should have more of.”

As time goes by and students look for unique events that give them an opportunity to experience the best art and fashion SPU offers, MODE continues to provide. With big things on the horizon and plenty of opportunities for all members to contribute, Taggart hopes MODE will keep growing as time goes by.

“I would say to students who are considering joining MODE, ‘Why wouldn’t you want to join?’” Taggart said.  “We love having new people at our meetings, and there are plenty of ways to get involved with MODE. It’s a great place to hang out and meet people who are also passionate about fashion!”