Community, commitment, change

SPU athletes talk meaning, takeaways from athletics
Seattle Pacific University Freshman Mens Basketball player David Zachman reacts to a three point shot made by a teammate during the second half of an NCAA basketball game against Western Washington on Saturday, Jan. 13, 2023, in Seattle. (Rio Giancarlo)

Every athlete has their own perception of what it means to don the uniform and play for their team. These perceptions also change over time as the athletes gain experience in their sport.

For Hailey Marlow, a senior business marketing and finance major who plays point guard for the Seattle Pacific University women’s basketball team, being an athlete is about many things, but community and friendship are two she highlights.

“It means that I get to connect with my team and make an impact on our school and community by bringing people together to help cheer for a common goal. You get to play people, make forever friends, and enjoy not only school but be able to have physical activity and have fun,” Marlow said. “Like my teammate, Olivia [Mayer]. I’ve known her since I was little, getting to play with her again is really fun.”

Marlow observes how, after the COVID-19 pandemic, SPU’s athletic spirit has dwindled. She also notes that the team is trying to rebuild that interest.

“I think after COVID, it’s been pretty segregated. And I think that we could do a better job of getting everybody together,” Marlow said. “And that’s something we’re working on this year, trying to bring everyone together, have more fun, have more of an athletic community, and just enjoy the time we have.”

Freshman David Zachman, who plays guard for the men’s basketball team, stresses the importance of fun while echoing Marlow about meeting new people.

“We get to build a program for the school, and we get to meet people and build a team program that’s just fun overall,” Zachman said.

Zachman also made comments about the importance of community and building a fanbase, just as Marlow did.

“It always hurts when you have a small crowd, it’s hard to play well. But when you have a big crowd, you get really excited and want to play really well,” Zachman said.

Charisma Smith, a senior exercise science major who runs sprints and relays for the track and field team, emphasizes the importance of commitment.

“There’s a lot of commitment,” Smith said. “You have to stay committed to sports and also school while you’re doing it.”

Smith also noted that her experience with injury in her sophomore year changed her perspective on athletics.

“It allowed me to rest, one, so it helped me kind of recharge mentally and physically, and then it also taught me that nothing’s really guaranteed, so you kind of have to appreciate all the opportunities you get in sports,” Smith said. “I feel like a lot of it has become more about … learning to enjoy the process of being an athlete, and just working hard and seeing where that takes you, whether that’s the results you want or not.”

Smith notes how happy she was that she reached a point in her athletic journey where the road is more important than the destination.

“I think for some, maybe newer athletes, they might not recognize or be in that spot where they actually enjoy doing what they do yet. But I think that can come with time and, like, going through the ups and downs,” Smith said. “But I think that’s not necessarily the spot everyone will get to, so I am super thankful to have gotten to that spot. But I do hope everyone does.”

Zachman also mentions how things have changed for him over the years, and his perspective was more tied to going up the ladder at different levels.

“I think the biggest change has been jumping from school to school. Like, middle school to high school changed a lot, and high school to college changed even more,” Zachman said. “It’s the school, how much they support the athletics, and how much more it means at each school as it gets bigger and bigger and more competitive.”

Marlow, meanwhile, notes how she has realized that athletics gives lessons that will continue after she hangs up the jersey and moves into the future.

“I used to think it was all gonna end like when I stopped playing, but now I realize a lot of tools and lessons I’ve learned from playing the sport over the years, the people I’ve met, they’re gonna carry,” Marlow stated. “I’ll carry that with me for the rest of my life and be able to use that in society and in a job, and so many other areas.”