Places, everyone!

SPU theatre makes its heroic in-person return with “Blood Water Paint”

Mason Brooks, Staff Writer

Senior theatre performance majors and cast members Chloe Newton and Dami Almon during rehearsals for this years fall production of “Blood Water Paint.” (Courtesy of Giao Nguyen)

*Trigger warning: sexual assault

This global pandemic has been a time of trial and challenge for many industries around the globe, but the world of performing arts is one industry that has been uniquely affected. Operas have seen their doors shut, symphonies have fallen silent and traditional live theatre has closed its curtains.

Not anymore. Hope has returned to the horizon. Broadway is back in business, concerts are collecting crowds by the thousands and theaters are taking tickets once again.

Seattle Pacific University’s talented army of actors, directors and designers bravely endured last year’s burden, putting on several Zoom productions for eager viewers.

This year is different. Once again returning to the stage, SPU’s theatre department is proud to present “Blood Water Paint.”

Chloe Newton, a senior theatre performance major, expressed her excitement about participating in the live performances.

“This is our first in-person show since COVID. The fact that we can do the show, and do it safely, is a testament to how far we have come,” Newton stated.

Audience members must remain masked, and seating will be altered to provide social distancing, but performing students will be able to play their roles unmasked.

Candace Vance, the Associate Professor of Theatre and Head of Performance, is the director of the theatre departments autumn quarter show “Blood Water Paint.” (Courtesy of Giao Nguyen)

Professor Candace Vance, SPU’s Head of Performance and the director of “Blood Water Paint,” shared her immense gratitude for the return of live theatre.

“We can’t take this for granted. I have been in the performing arts since I could walk,” Vance shared. “I always thought [theatre] would be there. It never would have occurred to me that something could shut down my entire industry.”

Vance knew that the university’s return to the stage needed a powerful play with something truly meaningful to say. She made an excellent choice. “Blood Water Paint” follows the true story of Artemisia Gentileschi, an exceptional painter in 17th century Italy. Artemisia suffers a terrible trauma and finds the strength to endure a sexist court system by connecting with the biblical women she paints.

“At its core, this is a show about strength. Battling through trauma, especially in the 16th century, takes incredible strength,” Newton explained.

Dami Almon, senior theatre performance major and cast member, touched on the show’s timely themes.

“I love the recurring theme of women supporting women. Artemisia did not have many women on whom she could rely, so she turned to the multitude of biblical heroines,” Almon shared.

“Blood Water Paint” is about perseverance. Artemisia never allows her trauma to defeat her. She pushes through the failures of her society and rises anyway.

This haunting story is not an average show for a plethora of reasons. Vance explains just how culturally critical this piece is.

“The show is about an incredible artist who was a woman, written by an incredible playwright who is a woman, which is just rare,” Vance shared.

This play is not afraid to speak up about sexual assault and the trauma that it brings. Yet despite its heartbreaking subject matter, the story is not about defeat. It is a call to hold society to a higher standard, a call to hold everyone accountable for their actions. Above all else, this show is about an outstanding artist who does not let anything prevent her from chasing her dreams.

Going to see the show is a chance to support the SPU theatre community. It provides an opportunity to be educated on art history and experience the power of live theatre for the first time in almost two years.

“This show is something that anyone, regardless of gender, should see. We all should be looking for ways to support not only the women in our lives but everyone,” Almon said.

Performance dates are Oct. 28-29 and Nov. 3-6 at 7:30p.m., and Oct. 30 at 2:30p.m.

To purchase tickets for “Blood Water Paint,” students can visit https://sputheatre.ludus.com/index.php or go to @sputheatre on Instagram and click the link in their bio.