Senate approves conference funds

By Anya Annear | Assistant News Editor

Two separate conference proposals, one from Jess Sloan, a global development major, and one from Urim Kim, a pre-dental major, were passed at senate.

Sloan’s conference is titled: “Camp Wellstone Seattle Community & Political Conference.” It will be April 27 through April 29 on the Seattle Pacific University campus.

Sloan’s proposal to cover her conference started at $450, but before coming to senate, she requested a scholarship from the conference staff, which knocked the price of her conference from $450 to $150.

“The original cost was $450, but then I asked to be scholarshipped down to $150, [Camp Wellstone] approved that, but that’s still really hard for me to pay, since I pay all my own education costs,” Sloan said.

Senate is only allowed to pay two-thirds of the conference price. Therefore, senate passed for $100 to go towards Sloan’s final amount of the conference.

“My plan is to attend and also provide a write-up to Dr. Murg so that he can report back to both Political Science and Global Development students, just to provide that as an option for them,” Sloan said.

Senate also passed the second conference proposal from Kim, a pre-professional health sciences major, who went to “Dive into Dentistry Days” at Oregon Health & Sciences University on April 13 and April 14, a workshop for Dentists.

“I feel like this event can help not only me, but also the Pre-Dental Club to just show them what actual dental students do, cause most of the time they don’t know what they are getting into,” Kim said. “Also as president of the Pre-Dental Club next year, I want to bring new connections to SPU from Oregon Health and Science University, to create a connection between professors and students.”

The total cost of Kim’s conference was $184, including transportation. Senate passed the proposal to pull $120 from the conference fund, which is two-third of Kim’s conference cost. Senate then requested that guests leave senate after the conference proposals were passed so they could vote for the Professor of the Year award.

In Other Business:

1) ASSP Executive Vice President Danielle Meier announced that Student Leadership Development Committee (SLDC) will have the last In-Service next Tuesday in Upper Gwinn from 7 to 9 p.m. The theme will be Self-Care. The guest speaker will be Minister of Discipleship Deb Nondorf and DeHeavalyn Pullium, a residence life coordinator at Hill Hall.

“Deb and DeHeavalyn will be putting together the bulk of the night, and they are also bringing in previous student leaders. They are bringing in these seniors to talk about what they have learned in leadership and self-care and also how some of their leadership experiences have prepared them for graduating from this place and moving forward,” Meier said.

2) Meier announced that senate needs new senators for next year. The application for senator is on the Student Hiring Link on Orgsync and the application will be under 2018-2019 senate.

3) Meier announced that more students are needed to join the Constitutional Advisory Board (CAB). CAB supports ASSP Core members in changing their bylaws.

“They will be really important as we start to go through bylaw changes for all of the Core members. I think I speak for all of us in finding things in our bylaws and feeling like one or two things need to be changed,” Meier said.

4) Senator-at-Large Abbey Brandt announced that the American Sign Language Committee is going well.

“Melissa Del Rio is working on the online petition, and I’m working on the facebook page,” Brandt said.

5) Commuter Senator Anthony Muro announced that the Senior Gift Committee raised $400 for the Senior Gift last Tuesday, April 10, at Grad Festival. There are other ways to donate money towards the Senior Gift on Orgsync.

6) Department of Fine Arts Senator Courtney Rutzer announced the Photography Major Senior Show will be Thursday, April 19, from 5 to 7 p.m. in the Art Center. The exhibit will be up until the end of next week.

7) Meier announced the Office of Safety and Security (OSS) will have an event in Demaray 150 on April 17, from 7 to 9 p.m. The guest speaker will be Dr. Tina Schermer-Sellers, who is a licensed sexologist, and marriage and family therapist.

“She recently published a book on religious sexual shame and is sort of dumping into the purity culture movement. So she’s going to be unpacking that with students,” Meier said.