Tackling on-screen fears

SPU students recall their first interactions with horror films
Illustrated by Mia Eshima

Finding the courage to press play on a horror movie for the very first time can be just as scary as the movies themselves. The anticipation of what lies ahead can build up the fight or flight response before our body even needs it, tricking our mind into believing we need to be more afraid than we are. With a genre that is scientifically crafted to leave your body feeling horrified, by the end of the credits, many are left with an unforgettable experience. 

Rhiannon Kuns, a second-year art major, recalled her first experience with on-screen horror. 

“The first real horror movie I saw, I was 14 or 15 and I watched ‘Silence of the Lambs’ with my mom. It was a really scary one for a first one, I was a little traumatized,” Kuns said.

Since then, Kuns has discovered that only certain scary movies have the same effect on her. 

The horror genre has dozens of sub-genres attached to it; psychological, gore, slasher, paranormal and monster tend to be the most popular when it comes to mainstream media, leaving audiences with plenty to offer, and more than one reason to be afraid. 

“‘Silence of the Lambs’ messed me up there for a little bit. But ‘Scream’, when I watched that one for the first time, I was fine. Psychological thrillers, they get in my head, but slasher movies don’t really,” Kuns explained.

Mary Carlson, a second-year music therapy student shared that the first scary movie she watched left her afraid to leave the house.

“My first scary movie I ever watched was World War Z, a zombie movie, and it traumatized me. I was terrified, I wouldn’t go anywhere,” Carlson said. 

Carlson’s next horror movie experience was just as scary. 

“I was in fifth grade and watched ‘The Shining’ at a sleepover. The ending scene scared me so bad, I hated that.” Carlson said.

Not all scary movies necessarily have to be horror films. Any movie can induce fear, often because they are linked with more personalized fears. Children’s movies can often serve as a first exposure to frightening visuals.

“‘Coraline’ also got to me, when the hand gets shut in the door and it follows her around, I hated it. My mom would have to check under the bed for the hand every night,” Carlson shared. 

For Kuns, it was the Disney animated Pinocchio that scared her as a child. 

“The whole movie is just creepy. The part where he is swallowed by the whale really scared me,” Kuns said.  “I have only watched it once since then.”

Scary movies certainly are not the reason for the season for everyone. Fourth-year history major Zachariah Nacke prefers to have a more relaxing time when he chooses a movie to watch. 

‘“Horror movies, or really any movies that are scary, just stress me out. I don’t want to waste two hours of my life feeling stressed and worried and anxious,” Nacke said. “I’m more of a rom-com guy which feels like the very opposite of what a horror movie is. I will always opt instead for a movie that will make me feel happy.” 

For those who are not in favor of spending their night jumping out of their seats in fright, Halloween can still be enjoyed with a nice family classic.

“During Halloween time I usually prefer to watch a movie like ‘The Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown,’ it’s just so sweet and I love Charlie Brown,” Nacke said. 

Even those who may enjoy the occasional scary movie can find themselves drawn more to the PG-scary level.

With the Pacific Northwest’s gray October skies and trees coated in orange and red around every corner, Seattle Pacific University students are in the perfect environment to enjoy the thrill of fall even if it means steering clear of any scare-inducing movies.  

“All of my October favorites are movies like ‘Nightmare Before Christmas,’ ‘Hocus Pocus’ and more of the cutesy classic Halloween movies. I’m fine with horror movies but they are never my go-tos,” Kuns shared.