Spring Brings New Growth

Students celebrate Easter in and out of state

For most, flowers sprouting from the once frozen ground and the sound of birds chirping marks the beginning of spring.

Along with the disappearance of harsh winters, spring also carries much religious significance. There is Passover, the start of Ramadan, Rama Navami and, for those who practice one of the many denominations of Christianity, Easter.

Each year, Easter falls on the first Sunday following the first full moon of spring.

Practicing Christians celebrate Easter, which commemorates an event that happened around two millennia ago: the resurrection of Jesus Christ. This death and resurrection marks when Jesus Christ took on the sin of the world and made it so those who believed in him could have a personal relationship with him and be saved.

Because of its significance in the story of Christianity, Easter is a very important holiday in the Christian calendar. Although this holiday holds incredible significance, many SPU students who live out of state are unable to go home and celebrate with their families.

“Being away from home for Easter for the first time brings mixed feelings; I’m definitely missing my family and the gatherings we take part in, but I’m also very excited for Easter away from home,” said first-year Sofia Struiksma. “I’m excited to celebrate Easter in Seattle because in a way it’s a demonstration of me taking on my faith as my own, and not just doing something because that is what my family around me is doing.”

The distance from their families has enabled some out of state students to gain a different perspective of the holiday.

“I think that the celebration Jesus’ resurrection is cool to spend with family,” sophomore Frank Helmstetter said. “But at the same time, when I can’t go home, it’s kind of nice being able to make an independent choice to honor God because of His love for us.”

Some out-of-state students are lucky enough to fly home and visit their families for Easter weekend. Easter weekend is the perfect time in the quarter to wind down after a long four weeks of school work and stress. The short break helps students rejuvenate from their studies.

“It is refreshing to get away from campus, even if just for a day, and always good to spend time with family,” said sophomore Bennett Spencer. “It’s nice to forget homework and midterms for a little bit and spend time with family.”

To many, Easter is defined by the Easter bunny, baby chicks, Easter egg hunts, brunches and BBQs.

According to the Forbes article “Easter In The United States By The Numbers,” 80% of Americans celebrate Easter each year. Although the holiday has religious significance, it is also celebrated by those who are not Christian or are of other religions.

“To me, the general feeling of Easter is very positive and overall a nice time to celebrate family and togetherness,” said first-year Isaiah Dunn. “It’s so nice to see everyone come together and be so happy about the one thing they all have in common.”

Non-religious people amongst the 80% of Americans who celebrate Easter can still find joy in the holiday. Some households leave the resurrection out of the picture all together and use the holiday to represent bringing family together and eating good food.

Regardless of the holiday celebrated during Spring, the season marks new growth and fresh beginnings. For Christians, Easter is an extremely important holiday that celebrates Jesus, family and togetherness.

“Easter is one of my favorite holidays because of the silly things I still get excited about like Easter egg hunts, but also because of how joyful of a day is it to rejoice in the resurrection of Jesus,” said sophomore Kellie May. “I love celebrating with my giant family, and really knowing the real reason we celebrate.”