24 HOURS IN BRUSSELS

The best part of living in a place is finding the particular quirks and locales that bring you the most joy. For me, these are the places that remind me the most of home: a quaint coffee shop, an obscure bookstore, somewhere cheap to update my wardrobe and a place to unwind at the end of the day.

Brussels has these features in spades, so finding a combination of them and taking a day to enjoy them all is perhaps the ideal way to introduce someone to a city. For 24 hours, I photographed the places I enjoyed the most in Brussels in order to capture the city for those who might visit.

Picture3
The Brussels Town Hall, the towering structure houses the national arch ives and royal library.

Picture7
The Number 6 Metro, a quick way to get around in Brussels.
Picture6
Un Gran Frite, the Belgian take on french fries
Picture8
To end the day, there is nothing better than live rock music and a glass of ale. La Porte Noire has both of these, with local bands playing every Thursday night at 10 p.m.
Picture4
A Cortado, an espresso drink composed of equal parts espresso and steamed milk, is a great way to try Belga &Co.’s flavor of coffee roasting. The coffee roaster originates in Antwerp, and has two locations in Brussels.