Senate discusses supporting homeless

Tent City 3 to move in in less than two weeks

This week, senate continued their discussion on Tent City 3.
Senator Lillian Hollar, and senator Leanna Rose Temple will be meeting with the student Tent City 3 liaison Emily Hansum this Thursday, Nov. 9, to discuss making a proposal to subsidize the dinner meal for every Thursday that Tent City 3 is at SPU. This proposal will cost $700.
Hansum also announced at the Oct. 30 senate meeting that Tent City 3 has no way to wash their clothes. Hansum and the senators will also discuss buying a washing machine.
“Having a way for them to wash their clothes, they don’t have any laundromat service. I see that as being sort of a more immediate need,” Hollar said.
On Nov. 18, Tent City 3 will move onto SPU’s campus in the parking between the bookstore, Mailing Services and Mckenna Hall.
There will be four shifts on move-in day for students who volunteer to help with the move-in, and the link to sign up can be found on OrgSync. The second shift, on Nov. 18 from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m., will be sponsored by Latreia. Latreia will provide breakfast for students, as well as host a discussion after the shift.
Senate received a new senator this week. ASSP Executive Vice President Danielle Meier announced that Sierra Clemens was appointed on Nov. 6 as the school of education senator.
Clemens is excited about advocacy and campus change.
“One of the big ones we talked about, feminine hygiene products, that I really thought was important. After I met with Danielle I realised there really isn’t anything on campus. I also work at the C-Store so I know how expensive those products can be buying them from there,” Clemens said.
In Other Business:
ASSP President Mary Liu announced that the Feminine Hygiene Subcommittee met to discuss the next step towards action. This subcommittee includes Hill Senator Audrey Franks; School of Business, Government and Economics Senator Spencer O’Hara; Commuters Senator Lillian Hollar and Vice President of Intercultural Affairs Melissa Del Rio.
ASSP Vice President of Campus Activities Garrett Berkey announced that The Talent Show Auditions forms are on Orgsync.
ASSP Vice President of Ministries Kathryn Baumheckel announced that the ministry office is looking at Camp Arnold in Eatonville for a ministry retreat. She also announced that the Rev. Lina Thompson, a pastor from Lake Burien Presbyterian Church, may be the speaker for the ministry retreat.
ASSP Vice President of Intercultural Affairs Melissa Del Rio announced that the intercultural retreat will be from Nov. 17 to Nov. 19 at Camp Casey. The theme of the retreat will revolve around creating safe spaces, what that means, and what that looks like. Registration is at the Uni-Com desk.
ASSP Vice President of Finance Akshy Palanisamy announced that the general fund stands at $2,033, the conference fund stands at $ 1,016.73 and the club programming fund stands at $4,798.43.
Senator of Fine Arts Courtney Rutzer announced that The Hatmaker’s Wife will begin Nov. 9 and run through Nov. 11 with showtimes at 7:30 p.m on all three nights.