Macrae pursues artistry

“Making Marks” showcases creativity, abstract works

annamacrae02
Currently at the Shift Gallery in Seattle, Anna Macrae shows her work in the exhibit “Making Marks,” where she explores abstract ideas and colorful marks. Photo courtesy of Shift Gallery

At the Shift Gallery in Seattle, Anna Macrae sat working diligently on a new piece of artwork. She finished conversing with a viewer of her paintings, and greeted all with a lovely smile as they come in.

The room was filled with paintings that reflected Macrae’s life. Without knowing anything about art, one can tell that Macrae’s story and her passion were on full display in her showcase, making the gallery both personal and inspirational.

Currently, her selection of paintings called “Making Marks” is on display at Shift. Each painting has different centerpoints and color contrasts to focus on. Her art tells a story that is true to herself.

The room was small and practically empty, and the walls were white to better emphasize her pieces. Surrounding Macrae was a series of her own paintings, popping with all sorts of color.

Different colors were showcased throughout the room, and nameless shapes and grids were evident in every piece of art. Her paintings are abstract, chaotic but unique.
Macrae’s abstract art is different than many other artists. Rather than just paint, Macrae uses various materials that makes her art unconventional, yet intriguing at the same time.

annamacrae01
Macrae’s work is a mixture of of smudged ink lines, scratched brush strokes and scribbles. Photo courtesy of Shift Gallery

“I am interested in texture and surface and playing with non-precious, unconventional materials,” Macrae said.

In her paintings, Macrae uses materials such as cardboard along with harsh brush strokes, scribbles and smudged ink to create a new level of dimension for her paintings. She mainly uses oil and mixed medium.

Originally from England, Macrae explained that some of the paintings in “Making Marks” is named after an area in England that is flat and full of wetlands. In her paintings, she portrays how, in this area, the land and water merges together.

With a careful eye on the paintings, one can see the incredible details Macrae has put into each of them. Blobs of paint and cardboard stick out, fresh pencil marks still visible, the brush strokes jagged.

“A lot of my work is contradictions,” Macrae explained, when asked about her methods to create her artwork.She likes the thin scratchy marks, and also enjoys using harsher brushes because it creates distinguishable marks.

Even though she works six-hour days in the studio, Macrae’s paintings usually take a couple of months to finish.

“I tend to work on several canvases at a time. It’s hard to put a time on them since I’m not always working on them,” she noted.

All around the room, not only were Macrae’s paintings on display, but so was her heart and creativity. Although she did not always follow her artistic talents, her passion never left her.

annamacrae04
“Making Marks” is on display on Fridays and Saturdays through the month of January. Photo courtesy of Shift Gallery

Macrae earned the qualifications for Civil Engineering, but she returned to being an artist after listening to her heart’s desire.

As she continues her work, Macrae will explore different ways and methods to create more abstract paintings, and bring herself into the unknown realm of possibilities.

Macrae has followed her dreams to become an artist, and her work towards achieving her dream is certainly seen through her paintings. Macrae’s art is beautiful, and her heart even more so.

“Making Marks” is available to view in the Shift Gallery Fridays and Saturdays through Jan. 27 from noon to 5 P.M.