Where small ideas transform into real-world applications

Bringing reality to innovative ideas at 22nd annual Erickson Conference
Ben Sheirbon poses for a photo with his research poster during the Erickson Conference in Otto Miller Hall. (Courtesy of Ben Sheirbon)

The 22nd annual Erickson Conference showcased various innovative research and design projects that Seattle Pacific University students collaborated on with faculty in the STEM programs.

Initially established by Dr. Joyce Erickson, the former dean of the College of Arts and Sciences, the conference was held on May 3, 2024, at Otto Miller Hall. Students worked individually or in groups in collaboration with SPU faculty and then presented their research or designs at the conference for other departments and esteemed Alumni to view.

Jenny Tenlen, associate professor and co-chair of the biology department, has been the chair of the Erickson Organizing Committee since 2018. Tenlen emphasized the benefits of this conference for STEM students

The skills students learn from these opportunities are transferable to jobs outside of SPU,” Tenlen said. “SPU students are sought-after by research labs, etc., because of the extensive hands-on experience our students gain.”

This year’s keynote speaker was Dr. Elizabeth Nguyen, an SPU alum and current Pediatric Nephrologist at Seattle Children’s Hospital. During her senior year at SPU, Dr. Nguyen presented at the fifth annual Erickson Conference in 2007. She later received her PhD and M.D. and recognized SPU faculty members Dr. Wai Lau and Dr. Ben McFarland, who were mentors during her undergrad years.

“Conferences like these have been key in my training,” Nguyen said. “Presenting your research to an audience forces you to understand your own research and defend your work as well as consider how to address gaps.”

Fourth-year physiology major Jonathan Dean and fellow group member Sara Dean, third-year physiology major, collaborated with Dr. Delgado on their research presentation, “Assessing the Antiviral Activity of Metformin.”

Jonathan Dean discussed the practical applications to the medical field to explain the motivations behind their research. 

“The prospect of conducting research with potential clinical applications in the future was immensely appealing,” Jonathan Dean stated, “exploring the intricate metabolic pathways and understanding how inhibiting them could impede viral replication was intellectually stimulating.”

Jonathan Dean described their research project process as challenging and enriching. 

“We had to familiarize ourselves with various laboratory techniques, each experiment serving as a learning opportunity,” Jonathan Dean said. “Witnessing our progress with every experiment and adapting our methods accordingly was immensely rewarding.”

Post-college plans for Dean included a goal to pursue a career in medicine as an aspiring physician. While reflecting upon his time at SPU, Dean also expressed his appreciation for the diversity of the school’s STEM program. 

“It allows us to explore phenomena at the cellular level while also understanding their broader physiological implications. This interdisciplinary approach fosters a comprehensive understanding of scientific concepts and their real-world applications,” Dean said.

The Erickson Conference held an Awards Ceremony, which recognized research and projects that stood out to the STEM department in terms of outstanding achievement and promise in their respective fields and practical applications. 

This year, multiple awards were given to student projects designated in their respective majors and presented in oral or poster format. This year’s top oral presentation in the engineering category was the “Deep Vein Thrombosis Prevention Device” by mechanical engineering students Joel Martin, Anna Rogers and Megan Rouse.

Fourth-year mechanical engineering student Megan Rouse and her group mates used new and old materials to reconstruct a blood pressure cuffing device designed for medical facilities and in-home accessibility. Rouse and her group discussed the severe implications of blood clots for a person’s health. This risk can be increased for people whose daily tasks include sitting for long periods or recovering from surgery.

“Our team developed the Pressure Thrombosis Prevention Device (PTP), an automated compression sleeve,” Rouse said. “Think of it like a blood pressure cuff with three air bladders that squeeze your calf one after the other to help improve blood flow and reduce the risk of blood clots.”

This project was in the works for Rouse and her group members for eight months of the school year. The group used their mechanical engineering skills to help create a practical medical device. They partnered with Lung Technologies LLC, which initially brought the idea to SPU.

Much preparation went into the medical device’s creative process. As Rouse described, “First, we solidified the design concept. Then, we identified potential challenges and assigned each team member to tackle one every few weeks.”

Rouse also discussed her post-SPU plans for going into the STEM field.

“I’m set on using my mechanical engineering skills to create products that improve people’s lives,” Rouse said. “While I’m still exploring specific fields, the medical device industry is a strong contender!”

The collaborative aspect of these projects with peers and professors was described as excellent preparation for what many students will experience in their respective careers in the STEM field.

“The professors are also incredibly supportive and accessible, always willing to offer guidance and mentorship,” Rouse said. “Their dedication to our success has been a huge factor in my development as an engineer.”

As expressed by faculty members at SPU, such as Tenlen, this STEM-focused conference has allowed students to express their creativity within their majors and become more familiar with the aspiring field they hope to pursue.

“The Erickson Conference provides a venue for students to disseminate new knowledge, to network with students and faculty across all STEM fields, and for students just getting started in their programs to learn about research opportunities available to them,” Tenlen said.