Once a Falcon, always a Falcon

SPU graduate finds employment in athletics department
Austin Freeman poses for a portrait in the athletics office on Thursday, Feb. 22, 2024.
(Asher Danielson)

Austin Freeman, the budget manager for Seattle Pacific University’s athletics department, has been on campus since he was three years old. Now, this campus is his job. 

In his position, Freeman handles the Athletics Department’s finances, including team travel expenses, uniform purchases and scholarships. He previously spent four years as a student at SPU, studying business administration with concentrations in management and marketing. 

Freeman greatly enjoys a line of work where he gets to combine his field of study and his love of sports.

“To be in sports, to combine my passion with what I studied and what I care about is a great fit,” Freeman said. “It’s definitely different from a lot of jobs I thought I might get as a business major. Being in sports is a very competitive place to work, but I love sports. I’m a big Seahawks, Mariners, Kraken and bring-back-the-Sonics fan.” 

In the fall of 2023, Vice President for Student Life Jeff Jordan reached out to Freeman, who graduated that June, to see if he was interested in working for the Athletics Department. 

“He called and told me the position was open and that he thought I’d be a good fit. I went through the whole application process and gave everything I had to this because SPU means a lot to me,” Freeman said.

Freeman has had a connection to SPU for the vast majority of his life. His mother, Joey Freeman, has been a professor at SPU since 2004. She is the Chair of Food and Nutritional Sciences and the Co-Chair of the Family and Consumer Sciences Department. Freeman said that being around the school for so long means that his career choice fits.

“I’ve been running around SPU forever. My passion and how much I care for this university has always been something that’s meant a lot to me,” Freeman said. “I knew pretty much throughout all of high school that I’d be here as a student, and the opportunity to continue to be a part of this community after college just makes all the sense in the world.”

When he was a student, Freeman was involved on campus as a Resident Advisor for his sophomore and junior years. He said that his experience in that position has helped him fit into his new job with the Athletics Department. 

“I’m a teammate to my coworkers, to the coaches and to the student-athletes that we have here. As an RA, I was a teammate to my staff and my floor,” Freeman noted. “Taking care of each other well and being there for one another is something that I worked hard at as an RA and it’s totally been in effect as a worker at SPU Athletics.”

After having greatly enjoyed his time as an RA, Freeman now greatly enjoys his new role and is committed to and excited about streamlining the operations of the department. He is also excited to be with the department during an uncertain time, as uncertainty breeds opportunity.

“SPU has a rich history with a lot of success. It’s been over a hundred years, and I can’t wait for the next hundred years. I think, to be part of SPU in this unique time that we’re in is exciting,” Freeman said. 

Freeman expressed that learning about his field in a faith-based environment was incredibly helpful to the way he now approaches his job. 

“Being a Christian is to me the most important thing, and SPU teaching us how to be successful in the business world while also keeping a Christian perspective on everything has gone all the way,” Freeman said. “Following Jesus’ example of grace and kindness and being friendly to everyone that I interact with has gone a long way.”

Above all else, Freeman loves the school and has for a long time. He loved walking around campus as a child, going to classes, being an RA, and now, he loves working with the athletics department.

“I’m incredibly grateful to be here. I love SPU. I didn’t expect to be back here as a worker, but I’m so grateful that I am and it’s been an absolute gift to be a part of this great team,” Freeman said.