Women’s team dominate at indoor GNAC

SPU track and field team finish regular indoor season with championship meet
Seattle Pacific University distance runner Annika Esvelt sprints to the finish line at the end of her 5,000 meter heat at The Dempsey Indoor track on Feb. 9, 2024, in Seattle. (Rio Giancarlo)

The Seattle Pacific University track and field teams competed at the Great Northwest Athletic Conference championships on Monday, Feb. 19 and Tuesday, Feb. 20. 

Monday, Feb. 19:

The first day of the competition at the Podium in Spokane, WA, was marked by a standout performance by sophomore Hannah Chang, who achieved new personal records and placed second overall in pentathlon events (60-meter hurdles, high jump, long jump, shot put and 800-meter run) with 3,135 points.

Chang took first place in the women’s 60-meter hurdles event with a time of 8.85 seconds, beating her previous record of 8.87 seconds. Freshman Sophie Mock took eighth place at 9.67 seconds, claiming a new personal record after her former record of 9.69 seconds.

In her remaining pentathlon events, Chang finished in second place in the women’s high jump event (1.49 meters, formerly 1.41 meters), seventh place in women’s shot put (8.47 meters, formerly 8 meters), third in the women’s 800-meter event (2:36.06, formerly 2:39.62) and sixth place in women’s long jump (4.91 meters)

In the women’s 200-meter event, senior Aniya Green finished in fifth place at 25.52 seconds.

Finishing in third place at 57.97 seconds, sophomore Marissa Crane landed on the podium in the women’s 400-meter event.

Tuesday, Feb. 20:

In the women’s 200-meter event, Green finished in seventh place at 25.61. Crane finished in third place in the women’s 400-meter event at a new personal record of 57.23.

Senior Annika Esvelt took first place in the women’s 3000-meter event at 9:54.80

SPU’s 4×400 relay team (Green, Brown, Charisma Smith and Crane) finished in fourth place at 3:53.60.

Taking the second and third spots on the podium in the women’s pole vault event were junior Emily Thomason (3.83 meters, formerly 3.77 meters) and senior Lizzy Daugherty (3.73 meters).

The upcoming National Collegiate Athletics Association’s post-season indoor track and field championships will be held from Friday, Mar. 8, to Saturday, Mar. 9. Qualifiers and starting times are still to be announced.