Horrors of Ashton revisited

Just when you thought Ashton Hall could not get scarier
Chainsaw man scares students during the Haunted Ashton event in the side stairwell covered in blood. Oct 27 2023
(Josilyn Walker)

What could be scarier than a haunted house? For many Seattle Pacific University students, it is the idea of facing Ashton’s Hill once more. Luckily the Student Programming and Outdoor Recreation event planners included a few treats among their night of tricks and provided students with a shuttle up the daunting hill. 

On Friday, Oct. 27, STORP gave Seattle Pacific University students the perfect start to ‘Hallo-weekend’ with their ‘Haunted Ashton’ event. Students assembled in Martin Square and were met with hot drinks to combat the chilly air as they eagerly awaited their braved attempt at facing the horrors ahead.

Entering Haunted Ashton as a prospective Seattle Pacific University student, haunted house go-ers were toured through their possible living quarters for the next year. Unfortunately for newcomers, it was quickly made apparent that Ashton Hall is closed for a reason.

Spiderwebs dangled from the ceilings, walls were stained with blood and smoke was seeping through the halls. With each new turn, students were met with more reason for unease. 

Emily McElheran, a third-year visual communications and illustration major who ran the event, strived to make the most of this one-time opportunity. Students having access to an empty on-campus building is likely not an occurrence the school will see again for a long time, making the event all the more exciting for those who were able to attend. 

“We’ve played on the fact that it’s abandoned at this moment, we’ve put some wood out, put some caution tape up, put some tarps to make it look like it’s under construction,” McElheran said. “People who have been in this building already know that it’s really creepy, so they can just expect the creep factor to be very high” 

Students began with a special inside look at one of the Resident Life Coordinators’ apartments accompanied by a seemingly unwell RLC. Students then continued through Ashton’s first floor. The pit stops in eerie dorm rooms, horror-filled bathrooms and rundown lobbies were brought to life by the most eccentric of characters, including a deranged professor, a haunted little girl and a dinosaur jumpscare. The SPU student actors really gave it their all. 

The process of setting up for Haunted Ashton may have been even more frightening for STORP members than the walk-through event itself.

“The building has been so terrifying. It literally is just us here, so when you hear a noise clear down the hallways you kinda just run the other way and come back to decorate the next day,.”  McElheran shared. “I was here as a freshman and then I was an RA last year in this building and so it has just been bringing up all sorts of memories of doing rounds in the creepy dark hallways.”

Their work paid off, as students’ screams could be heard from outside as others approached the building; an unrehearsed warning signal for those prepared to enter. Olivia Clark, a second-year ecology student, was one of the many who chose to venture into Haunted Ashton. 

“I really enjoyed our tour guide, the decorations were so good and there were definitely a few times where it was really scary,.” Clark said. “One of my favorite moments was when my friend was really scared and she fell to the ground and clung to my leg while we were locked in the closet, I thought that was super funny.” 

Haunted Ashton made for great Halloween memories even for those who may not be the biggest thrill seekers. STORP approached it with just enough humor to account for the students who . One dorm room featured a dancing David S. Pumpkins, a beloved “Saturday Night Live” character, to act as real-time comedic relief. 

Even while SPU students shuffled through the halls and held on closely to their friends, the fear was never taken too seriously; laughter echoed through the halls as friends turned to see each other’s frightened faces. 

Eloise Dibble, a first-year apparel design and apparel merchandising major, found that reaction really elevated the whole experience. 

“The scariest thing was really my friends getting jump scared and how loudly they screamed.”  Dibble shared. “I’ve never been super scared of haunted houses, but having my friends running around screaming made it scarier for sure.”