Hawaiian paradise

Ohana ‘O Hawai’i club celebrates culture, traditions
Illustrated by Mia Eshima

With stunning beaches of white sand and a fresh ocean breeze, the Hawaiian Islands are one of the most beautiful places in the United States. Beyond the extraordinary views and active volcanoes lies a deep and rich culture tied to the land and the people who live among it.

Over 2,500 miles away from these lush islands, lies Seattle Pacific University. Students who call the ‘Aloha state’ home can find community within the campus’ Hawaiian club, Ohana ‘O Hawai’i. This club looks to encourage value in the customs and culture of Hawai’i. Convening every other Tuesday, gatherings consist of hanging out, games and occasionally free food.

Tani Yoshiyoka, a third year English major, serves as club president for Ohana ‘O Hawai’i. Along with other members of the board, Yoshiyoka continues to build upon the inviting environment created, as well as encourage anyone interested in learning more about Hawaiian culture.

“Ohana ‘O Hawai’i is a club that focuses on Hawaiian culture. It’s not specifically for just Hawaii people, it’s open to the entire student body,” Yoshiyoka said. “It’s meant to be like our motto which is ‘home away from home,’ so mainly we cater to Hawaii people but the club is open to everyone. We want people to come, join and learn about Hawaii, not just as a tourist place but culture.”

In the native language, Ohana ‘O Hawai’i means ‘Hawaiian family.’ Leaders like Yoshiyoka have succeeded in creating a family-like environment with a warm greeting and invitation to all who are interested.

Taylor-Rose Moananu, third year political science and sociology major, serves as secretary. For her, creating a space to serve as a reminder of home is a priority. 

“Connecting with those students who are from Hawaii, that way they get that little piece with them, ‘you moved away to college’ so here is a little piece of home with you. We welcome everybody, we love to see different people,” Moananu said.

Throughout the year, the club builds to its signature event which premieres during spring quarter. In spring of the 2022-2023 school year, the club hosted a luau with an attendance of close to 400 people, one of the largest run signature events on campus.

Through fundraisers, like selling spam musubi or other traditional foods, students work towards creating the sensational event at the finale of the year, as well as give recognition to the club. Yoshiyoka does not deny the hard work involved in putting on the events, but still has lots of fun.

“It’s a whole process but it’s a great way to bring the club and entire student body together and to make them aware of Hawaii culture, as we see it as people from Hawaii,” Yoshiyoka said.

Events like these encourage other students to get involved as well as give a glimpse to the arts and history of the Islands. Breanna Smith, a junior visual communications major, serves as publicist and treasurer for the club. 

“I’m not from Hawaii actually but I love learning about the culture and learning new words. I joined as a freshman because my two roommates were from Hawaii and I learned so much new cultural stuff. I stuck with it and I’m learning more every day,” Smith said.

Smith’s statement reveals the receptiveness and welcoming environment of Ohana. It can feel overwhelming to join a club, especially when not sure where you may fit in. Nevertheless, there are no strings attached when looking to get involved.

“Just show up to our general meetings, you don’t have to be from Hawaii to come. I’m on the board and I’ve literally never been to Hawaii in my life, but it’s so great,” Smith said. “It’s such a community, and I’ve made so many friends through this club.”

If you are interested in getting involved or receiving updates, follow the group on Instagram (@spuohanaohawaii) or email Tani Yoshiyoka ([email protected]) for more information.