Beauty of ballet

Classic, beautiful art forms expressed by students during class
Professor Donna Isobel demonstrates a ballet technique during class in Royal Brougham Pavilion on Wednesday, Oct. 18, 2023, in Seattle. Introduction to Ballet, taught by Professor Donna Isobel, is offered in the autumn and spring quarter and meets Mondays and Wednesdays from 9:30-10:20 a.m. (Rio Giancarlo)

Since the fifteenth century, ballet has been an elaborate form of art. Strength, balance, endurance and flexibility are all necessary to master the techniques. For students looking to enter the world of dance, Seattle Pacific University offers the perfect fit in the form of a ballet class.

Donna Isobel, adjunct professor of health and human performance, has been teaching at SPU for over 20 years. An avid dancer herself, she is currently teaching the ballet course at the university. 

“I love teaching because I love movement and dance,” Isobel said. “It’s such a great form of expression and also it’s like a nice gift to students who love to dance or are just trying something new. I just get excited about people being healthy and aware of their body and enjoying movement.”

Concentrating on new skills and movements stimulates the brain and releases the stress of life. 

Understanding body awareness, and the unique ways to move allows students to express themselves in a simple way.

Sophia Harris, a fourth year business administration major, is currently in the ballet course and has had a positive experience with the structure and involvement in class.

“Because it’s in the morning it’s such a great way to start my day. We always stretch and have a decently easy workout,” Harris said. “I’m always sore afterward, surprisingly, I guess that’s how ballet works. I really love the professor. She’s awesome and always brings really good energy to the class which I enjoy,” 

Not only is it an enjoyable class, but it is beneficial and good for overall well-being.

“Everyone can benefit from dancing. The mind-body connection and being aware of your body is a great gift,” Isobel said. “So even if they don’t go on to dance after this just having those connections of what’s working parallel with what is working inward and out, and just being aware of your body helps prevent injury. It helps you breathe better and it just makes life better.”

With all the stresses and information coming from major-specific classes, ballet gives a reprieve and relaxing way to settle the day. Second year music production major Justice Sandoz feels that it is a positive way to spend his time.

“What better way to start the morning than ballet and just get you moving. I also wanted to do it to get more flexible,” Sandoz said.

The morning motions build upon one another each session and allow students to display their feelings. Isobel encourages students of any dancing background to join.

“Everyone should dance, it’s a personal expression. People can have a lot of stress and tension when going to school and this is a class to release and enjoy yourself. I think anyone would benefit from it,” Isobel said.

Sophia Harris (center) and Lia Werner (right) practice a pas de bourrée during class in Royal Brougham Pavilion on Wednesday, Oct. 18, 2023, in Seattle. (Rio Giancarlo)

The skill of ballet may be intimidating, but the class is embracing to all students and accepts all levels of fitness and skill. Harris feels that it is inclusive and open to students of any level of expertise.

“She’ll give accommodations to anybody’s level or just how you’re feeling and never judge. It’s a really good class for beginners or even experienced people,” Harris said.

The inclusive environment has made Sandoz, one of the few males in the class, feel invited and comfortable in the space.

“There’s like one other guy, but I was expecting to be the only one so it’s cool to see guys doing it too,” Sandoz said. “It’s definitely not just for girls, because I really enjoy it and think it applies a lot to just moving normally though life and gaining strength in a lot of areas that people who work out in other ways don’t normally get.”

Students like Harris and Sandoz highly recommend the course to anyone looking to fill up their schedule, as it is worthwhile. The constructive schedule and physical benefits noticeably make the days better. 

“I would recommend everybody take it if they have the time in their schedule. I took it to fill up my schedule and keep my scholarships, but it was one of my best decisions,” Harris said. “It’s what’s getting me through the quarter, my one fun class, so I really enjoy it.”

Ruth Addisu (left) and Lia Werner (center) perform a jump during class in Royal Brougham Pavilion on Wednesday, Oct. 18, 2023, in Seattle. (Rio Giancarlo)