Finding faith

Students seek spiritual community within UMin’s Group
Bi-weekly Group is held on Wednesdays from 7-8pm in Hill Hall lounge. This sign is posted next to the doors at the entrance of the meeting area. (Josilyn Walker)

Though there are plenty of clubs on campus, searching for a community at Seattle Pacific University can take time, especially for people from out of state. Finding a place of belonging is a challenging, meticulous and time-consuming process. This journey can be even more challenging when students seek a religious space that aligns with their beliefs and values. 

For those students, a spiritual gathering called Group meets bi-weekly every other Wednesday evening at 7 p.m. in the Hill Hall lobby. It is a place to come and relax in fellowship.

Meetings vary in content, depending on the week, and include worship, student panels and deeper conversations. Group is not like a traditional church service in its structure but a more encompassing experience, with each week looking slightly different. 

Collaborating with student ministry coordinators, Group works to connect all parts of life, including social and spiritual. The purpose of these meetings is to create relationships and reflect on the reasons behind their beliefs. 

Didi Uwase, a second-year psychology major, serves as one of the student coordinators for Group. Uwase first connected with the group during the conclusion of last year. Like other students, she wanted to get involved and find a God-related community.

“It’s meant for students to come by and feel comfortable being themselves, and a place to hang out. You don’t have to be specifically Christian to be there. It’s a place to come, stop thinking about school and just relax,” Uwase said.

Since then, she has become involved and worked to create a welcoming space for all. Uwase encourages students to get involved no matter their religious background. 

Creating a space that embraces all students can present challenges, but Group leadership combines many elements into their events to keep students interested and involved.

“SPU has opportunities for students to do whatever they like; it doesn’t have to be spiritual,” Uwase said.  “It’s a chance to get to know other students more, get involved and network. Networking helps a lot, and it gets you connected.”

While meetings include a level of spirituality, other activities include coloring pages or conversing with other students. Regardless of the extent of their faith, students can gather together for the evening.  

decorative candles place around the Hill Hall lounge during the first UMin Group held Wednesdays at 7-8pm. (Josilyn Walker )

At the first Group service earlier this year on Sept. 20, over 50 students attended the gathering. There was a large and encouraging turnout for the first kickoff session, though Uwase hopes to get the word out and grow the community even more. In future sessions, they hope to have student leaders speak on relationships and reflect on their importance. 

Fellow coordinator and faculty advisor Kelsey Rorem feels positive about this year’s Group sessions and keeping the university interconnected with a focus on faith and inclusion.

“It’s a space where you can come as you are. We know that school and life can be stressful, and Group is a midweek space where you can pause, take a breath and re-ground yourself. We laugh together but also think deeply about God and what it means to be a person of faith in the world,” Rorem said.

Even during the craziness of a new school year, finding company among other people can be beneficial in creating belonging and finding an emotional support system. Challenging and examining personal beliefs can be insightful in determining and interpreting the world. 

Leaders like Rorem and Uwase look to create an environment where feeling supported and included in that journey is a top priority. 

“Our hope is that it’s a place for all students to find belonging, rest and purpose,” Rorem said. “Everyone is welcome, even if you’re not sure what you believe. For those who are ready to go deeper, we would love for you to volunteer with us.” If you are looking to get connected with Group or get further information, you can contact them by directly messaging them on Instagram @spugroup