Whitehead to step down from board, not re-elected as FMC bishop

More changes to come to SPU higher administration
Dr. Matthew Whitehead faces Judge Andrea Darvas during the Guillot et al. v. Whitehead et al. hearing at the King County Courthouse in Seattle, Wash., Friday, Feb. 17, 2023. Whitehead was recently not re-elected to his position as a bishop of the Free Methodist Church. (Shianne Heeraman)

Dr. Matthew Whitehead will step down from his current role as SPU Trustee as a result of being voted off the FMCUSA Board of Bishops, where he has served since 2019. His roles as FMC Bishop and member of SPU’s board are connected, but not interchangeable — he will make way for a new Trustee by choice.

Seattle Pacific University President Deanna Porterfield released a statement regarding Whitehead’s time at SPU. The statement reads, “Dr. Whitehead serves as an elected trustee outside of his role as a bishop. However, Dr. Whitehead has chosen to step away from his service on the SPU Board of Trustees this November to provide opportunity for the new bishop to serve. We are so thankful for Dr. Whitehead’s 28 years of service to SPU.”

Alexis Nield, junior cell and molecular biology major, feels that the board is distanced from the needs of the student body, and hopes that will change with a possible new hire.

“I would say the relationship between the board and the student community is nonexistent,” Nield said. “I just hope that someone on the board will support the opinion of the school.”

In light of the recently settled Guillot v. Whitehead lawsuit, student and board relations are tense. Rayna Martin, President of SPU’s Associated Students of Seattle Pacific, understands the circumstances contributing to the Board’s disconnect.

“I am personally of the opinion that they see hardly any of our efforts because they are so out of touch,” Martin said. “Because they don’t have to be in touch with us.”

The Free Methodist Church holds General Conferences every four years, at which elections are held to determine who will fill the Board of Bishops for the next term. The Bishops Search Committee nominates individuals who hold certain spiritual and character values which align with those of the church, as well as those who are “ordained elder[s].” The Committee began their search in 2021, compiling a list of nominees to propose to the Board of Administration.

The First Free Methodist sits across from Tiffany Loop at 3200 3rd Ave W, Seattle. The First Free Methodist is the local Church of the Free Methodist denomination that Matthew Whitehead (a member of the Seattle Pacific Board of Trustees) was recently not re-elected to his bishopship of. (Henry Ngyuen)

The structure of the FMCUSA sees that the three elected bishops, who comprise the Board of Bishops, oversee a region of the country as well

as certain international locations for spiritual missions. The Northwest region will be overtaken by incoming Bishop Kenneth ‘Kenny’ Martin.

The possibility of a new board member in Whitehead’s absence could lead to changes in Board decisions and relations to students and faculty. Any new additions to the Board of Trustees will be announced to the SPU community after the Board’s November meeting.

“I have hope that President Porterfield will influence the Board in such a way so that they pick someone who is very gracious, big emphasis on civility, big emphasis on diplomacy,” Martin said, “[someone] who will read into the history of our school, become aware of it and not criticize us for it.”