Seattle Pacific says goodbye to Tent City 3

Senate meeting

Emily Hansum, the student liaison for Tent City 3, visited Senate to describe the experience of TC3 with Seattle Pacific University.
ASSP Executive Vice President Danielle Meier announced “Emily has come to update us on everything with TC3 and especially to talk to us about how the money that Senate passed was used.”

There were 304 students who helped with move-in day on Nov. 18, but only 34 students came to move-out day.

“304 students was actually more than we needed, but it was really awesome to see how many students come together,” said Hansum. “We made a good welcome, but I know as things pass, people tend to forget.”

Senate also funded Homeless 101 and Homeless Advocacy Day. The Homeless Advocacy team took 16 students to Olympia to listen to senators for the State of Washington speak about the policies and budgets changes in dealing with homelessness in Washington. The events were partnered with the SMC ministry and Eric Paul Downment.

“How to call your senator, how to say ‘oh, this bill is what I am pushing.’ that technique is really important,” said Hansum.

Hansum’s role as student liaison will end after this quarter. She is currently making the preparations for the next TC3 student Liaison.

“Overall I think that time that TC3 spent here was really valuable, a lot of students got involved which was really cool to see. Thank you,” Hansum said.

At the end of their time here, SPU did provide an extension time period for TC3 to stay longer at SPU, but TC3 decided to head to their new location at Cherry Hill Baptist.

“We did provide an extension for Tent City 3 to stay longer, but they decided to head out to Cherry Hill Baptist which is where they are now,” Hansum explained.

Senate also provided $1,600 for student groups who would like to host dinners once a week on a Thursday or Sunday. These student groups will additionally be provided the funds for the utensils, plates and napkins. Only 13 out 16 students groups took the funding for the dinners.

In Other Business:
1. ASSP Core Officer President Mary Liu announced that the Senior Gift Committee, led by Senator Anthony Muro, met with Jeff Jordan about what items can and cannot be selected by the student body as a present for SPU.

2. ASSP Core Officer Executive Vice President Danielle Meier announced that election season is in full function. The primary election will be Wednesday, Feb. 28. The general election will be on Wednesday, March 7, and the candidate speeches will be held on Monday, March 12, in the SUB Gazebo Room from 7 p.m. to 8 p.m. There will be polling stations throughout campus.

3. ASSP Core Officer Vice President of Ministry Kathryn Baumheckel announced Resurrection Week is in the planning stages. “This is a post-Easter event with different programming, just to celebrate that Christ is risen, but also to have community events and do outreach and have free food. So that fun stuff,” she explained.

4. Baumheckel announced that the 2018 graduating class will be having a High ceremony instead of a Bachelorette service. “It’s shifting hands this year and going to be considered something new. Mary and I are really excited to work alongside Bo,” she said.

5. Baumheckel announced that Ashton Cup will be this Sunday, March 7, in Royal Bro. The tickets will be $2 per person.

6. ASSP Core Officer Vice President of Intercultural Affairs Melissa Del Rio was not present at Senate, but Meier announced that MNOW (Multicultural Night of Worship) will be Feb. 28, from 7 p.m to 9 p.m. in Upper Gwinn. The theme will be “Surrender.”

7. ASSP Core Officer Vice President of Campus Activities Garrett Berkey announced that the Student Union Board (STUB) will be hosting on “Come to the Bark side!” on March 6. It is a puppy study break event that will take place in the Gazebo room.

8. Berkey announced that ORP has new merchandise. Sweatshirts cost $12.

9. ASSP Core Officer Vice President of Finance Spencer O’Hara announced that General Fund is at $4,207.91 and the Conference Fund is at $76.76. “There is a recurring theme that we have been tight on the budget. So at our meeting coming up on campus, so [the Allocation Board] decided that we would pull $1,500 from the Contingency Fund. we have yet to decide where it all goes,” O’Hara explained.

10. Senator Kaitlyn Payton announced that the Emerson Film Festival will be March 2 from 7:30 p.m. to 9 p.m. in Upper Gwinn. The tickets will be $2. “It’s a fancy, get all dressed and walk down the red carpet event. It’s gonna be a lot of fun,” Payton said.

11. Meier announced that the Senate Appointment Committee voted unanimously for Micailah Moore to be the senator for the school of social and behavioral sciences for this academic year.