Friday night frights

STUB hosts “Haunted Weter,” setting the tone for Halloween weekend

Trayton Pike, Staff Writer

A tarp with the words ” save me” painted in fake blood hangs in Weter Hall.
(Josilyn Walker)

Darkness consumes the Seattle Pacific University student and the few things they can see do not provide any comfort. Spider webs cover every inch of the space they have entered, body parts dangle from the ceiling and an eerie smoke engulfs their legs as they hesitantly move forward. 

Ambient, creepy and disturbing noises are all around them, but these are not the only things they can hear. They can barely make out the sound of muffled breathing and slow yet steady footsteps. The sound seems to be right behind them! As they turn around to investigate, the sight of the maniac holding a chainsaw triggers a feeling of dread as the student breaks into a sprint. As the student bursts through the nearest door, it is finally over, and they find calm in the low lights of Martin Square. 

On Friday, Oct. 28,  countless Seattle Pacific University students lined up outside Weter Memorial Hall to experience “Haunted Weter” hosted by the Student Union Board. They provided a variety of exciting activities and treats for students in Martin Square, with games like cornhole, crafts such as miniature pumpkin painting and food from Zeke’s Pizza and Krispy Kreme. Students took this night as an opportunity to break away from homework, relax and get into the Halloween spirit.

For the main attraction of the night, Weter Hall was transformed into a haunted house for students to roam cautiously while clinging to their friends’ hands in anticipation and fear. No expense was spared in making “Haunted Weter” live up to its name, and many students came out to experience all the Hall had to offer.

Second year ecology major Isabella Burnside took the risk of entering the haunted house and felt satisfied with the experience, despite being easily scared. 

“When you’re on the first floor and there’s a black tarp and then out of nowhere people start jumping out at you, I’d say it’s the scariest part because I’m not good with jump scares at all,” Burnside said. 

For students who are more accustomed to scary encounters, the haunted house also provided them with a great experience. Second year business major Alex Hristov was surprised by many of the scares within the house, but his most memorable moment happened near the exit. 

“I think the scariest part was the guy with the chainsaw who comes out and chases you. I feel like it’s because it happens at the very end when you don’t expect anything at all,” Hristov said. 

The scare actor with the chainsaw was not the only surprise students experienced at the end of the haunted house. First year international business major Camila Salinas-Cruz experienced quite a shock before exiting the experience. 

“I would say that the scariest part was probably where you’re taking a picture with your group to commemorate the night, and then out of nowhere someone just jumps out at the end and scares you,” Salinas-Cruz said. 

Creating the event was no easy feat, and it took a lot of work to prepare it for the night. Third year pre-nursing major Anthony Hernandez was the primary organizer of the event and takes great pride in the creation of the event. 

“This is our first year doing ‘Haunted Weter.’ We’ve been planning on doing the event since the first week of school. There have been haunted houses in the past, but it hasn’t been done in a while so it felt like the right time,” Hernandez said.

Even though putting on a big event can create positive emotions and anticipation, getting everything in order was not easy. Hernandez ran into some difficulties leading up to the big night.

Props hang from the ceiling in upper Weter as the haunted house is set up. (Josilyn Walker)

“Some of the hardest parts have been getting everything the layout completed. It’s also been hard to work between different facilities of OSS, as well as working with the hall itself, and getting everything scheduled so everything can be completed and making sure it can be ready for students,” Hernandez said.

Despite planning and logistical difficulties, Hernandez knew the end product would be worth all the struggles. 

“I’d say the most fun part about it has been brainstorming ideas as to what to actually put into the haunted house, as well as going out and finding things like equipment and decorations for it, so pretty much making our ideas for the haunted house become a reality,” Hernandez said.

With such a high turnout and satisfied students, it appears that STUB has put on another successful event, and thankfully there is still a lot more planned for this year. Although the next events may not provide the same spooky atmosphere, STUB is prepared to serve SPU students and provide them with exciting events and experiences as the school year progresses. 

“Before this event, we did an awesome First Friday, so with STUB, we really put on the largest events on campus. We let students get away from their studies and enjoy what the school has to offer,” Hernadez said. “It’s a great opportunity for students to bring friends as well as socialize in Martin Square. There’s always something for everybody, no matter what the event is.”