The Falcons reach a new high

SPU set a team high score for the second week in a row, 193. 225

For the second week in a row, the Seattle Pacific University gymnastics team scored a season high.

SPU surpassed 193 points for the first time in 2018 with a score of 193.225.

That was a four-tenths improvement from the team’s previous best of 192.825 established last week in Brougham Pavilion.

The lofty total was fueled by the finest team output of the season on the bars with a score of 48.075, beam with a score of 48.475, and floor exercise with a score of 48.675.

Itzia San Roman tied for second on the balance beam and McKenna Zimmermann was fourth in the all-around competition Sunday, leading Seattle Pacific to a season-high team total at the San Jose State women’s gymnastics quad meet in The Event Center.

Competing in her hometown of San Jose for the first time as a collegian, Zimmermann tied her career-high uneven bars score of 9.575 en route to her top four-event total, 38.600.

That put the freshman in fourth place while teammate Darian Burns was fifth, with a score of 38.000.

Miyuki Matsune equaled her career-best beam performance with a 9.800. The SPU sophomore executed a routine without using her left arm, which is heavily bandaged due to a broken hand.

Freshman Autumn Huskie achieved the second-best vault by a Falcon this season, earning a career-best score of 9.800. That improved upon the 9.725 she recorded last week.

Burns had SPU’s premiere performance on the bars with a 9.750. That same score tied her for team honors on the floor with Kylee Gauna and Jadacie Durst.

“We really did have a better week of practice last week and hopefully that will continue,” head coach Laurel Tindall said. “This score was definitely what we have been capable of all season. We also got Haven Lanzador back in the bar lineup and that helped on that event.”

Despite the high scores coming from SPU the ended up in fourth out of four teams in the meet: first was San Jose State at 195.050, second was Central

Michigan at 194.625, third was Air Force at 194.500 and fourth was Seattle Pacific at 193.225.

“But all the teams were very close,” Tindall said. “Our beam team was the top team of all four teams. We have always competed with D1 programs all year and this year is not different. We win very few meets but we are in a sport where a win-loss record does not count.”

The final two meets are one-on-one meets. The Falcons will face-off at University of Washington on March 9 at 7 p.m. and then against Air Force at home on March 17 at 2 p.m.