Women’s soccer wins big on senior night

Volleyball shut out by Western Oregon, men’s soccer ties against Billings

Isabella Tranello, Sports Editor

Women’s soccer celebrated senior day with a 3-1 win over Western Oregon. (Pictured left to right: Taylor Menkens, Madison Ibale, Sophia Chilczuk, Coach Arby Busey, Mariah Alexander, Ava Giovanola, Abbie Anderson, Riley Travis, Samea Aljundi, and Claire Neder). (Rio Giancarlo)

WOMEN’S SOCCER: 

On Thursday, Oct. 28, the Seattle Pacific University women’s soccer team took on Saint Martin’s University in an incredible, high-scoring game. The Falcons scored a total of five goals during the matchup and did not allow the Saints to score a single goal. 

Senior midfielder Makena Rietz scored the first goal 11 minutes into play from six yards away after a successful right-side corner kick from SPU. No other goals would be scored in the first half. 

Ten minutes into the second half, Rietz inserted herself back into the action as she assisted sophomore forward Lauren Forster, who scored on a low shot from 15 yards away. The Saints goalkeeper Ali Campigotto tried to slow down the shot, but the ball slowly trickled into the goal, despite her best efforts. 

The third goal of the game was scored 27 seconds later by sophomore midfielder Rylee Pierce. This goal was Pierce’s second collegiate goal. 

The two final goals of the game were scored by sophomore forward Sophie Beadle. Beadle’s first goal was a two-yard tap in that she scored off a rebounded shot from senior forward Sophia Chilczuk. 

Chilczuk scored her second goal of the game with only seven minutes left of play from 12 yards away after a long run breakaway 

The Falcons continued their success as they went into the Senior Night game on Saturday, Oct. 30. On this night of recognition for the senior athletes, the women’s soccer team defeated the Western Oregon University Wolves 3-1. 

Nineteen minutes into the first half, junior midfielder Chloe Gellhaus scored the Falcons’ first goal of the game off a shot by Chilczuk that rebounded off the right post. 

Junior midfielder Chloe Gellhaus turns up field against Western Oregon. (Rio Giancarlo)

There were no goals for the majority of the game. The next three goals of the game were not scored until the last 15 minutes of play. 

The Wolves scored their first and only goal of the game at the 80-minute mark during a goalmouth scramble with the Falcons. This goal tied up the game, 1-1. 

Three minutes later, The Falcons gained the upper hand again as senior forward Abbie Anderson scored a putback goal after an assist from senior midfielder Claire Neder. 

The winning goal of the game was scored on a 16 yard shot by Neder with only three minutes left.

The Falcons now hold a conference record of 10-1-1 going into their next game at home against Central Washington University on Oct.4. 

VOLLEYBALL: 

The SPU women’s volleyball team traveled to Monmouth, Oregon to face off against the Western Oregon University Wolves. The Falcons would be handed their sixth away game loss as the Wolves shut them out, 3-0. 

In the first set, the Falcons were unable to gain any momentum and ended up losing, 25-17. 

The second set of the game was much closer as the Falcons held a lead over the Wolves for most of the set. However, the Wolves rallied back and surpassed the Falcons’ lead. They quickly reached the golden number of 25 and left the Falcons with a stagnant 21 for the rest of the set. 

The Wolves took the final set of the game after a very close battle with the Falcons for control of the court. The lead bounced back and forth between both teams but ultimately leaned in favor of the Wolves as they won the set, 25-22. 

On Saturday, Oct. 30, the Falcons shut out the Saint Martin’s University Saints, 3-0. 

The Falcons dominated the Saints in the first set and held a steady lead over them. The Falcons took home the first set after outside hitter Sydney Perry gained a kill and brought the Falcons score to 25-18 over the Saints. 

In the second set, SPU did not let up and continued to play aggressively. The Saints were unable to pull ahead of the Falcons at any point during the set and lost, 25-18. 

The final set of the game went in favor of the Falcons again as they expertly kept the Saints at bay. The Falcons were relentless with their scoring and stayed ahead of the Saints throughout the whole set. They eventually won the set, 25-19. 

The Falcons look ahead to their game against Montana State University Billings on Saturday, Nov. 6. 

MEN’S SOCCER: 

SPU’s men’s soccer team journeyed to Montana to face off against Montana State Billings University on Saturday, Oct. 30. The game was low-scoring and ended in a tie between the two teams with a score of 1-1. 

Both teams went scoreless in the first half. The game’s score remained that way until the 61-minute mark when SPU scored the first goal of the game. 

The Falcons senior midfielder Jose Benavides scored after an assist from senior defender Nik Reierson. This goal was Benavides’s first goal of the season. 

The Falcons tight defense kept the Yellowjackets from scoring for most of the second half. SPU had the win in sight, but with only 14 minutes left in the game, the Yellowjackets freshman defender Mathias KjØlner scored a game-changing goal. 

After the goal from the Yellowjackets, the game went into overtime where a definitive winner could be crowned. During the ten minutes of overtime, neither team was able to score, which sent the game into another overtime period. 

The Falcons and the Yellowjackets battled it out for another ten minutes but were still unable to score any goals. This was the Falcons’ first tie of the season and brought their conference record to 4-1-1. 

SPU’s next game is at home against Simon Fraser University on Thursday, Nov. 4.