The magic of “MONTERO”

Another hit by Lil Nas X

Rita Chetty, Staff Writer

A Lil Nas X music video is playing on a laptop the night of the listening party in Weter Memorial Hall. (Devin Murray)

The wait for “MONTERO” is over. 

On September 17th, Lil Nas X released his debut album “MONTERO”. Songs featuring top artists like Doja Cat and Megan Thee Stallion allowed Lil Nas X to expand his audience to include those of the featured artists, and junior Shaely Spilker was impressed by one celebrity in particular.

“It’s also cool to see celebrities like Skai Jackson in the music videos,” Spilker said.

KSPU, Seattle Pacific University’s student-run radio station, hosted a listening party in Weter Memorial Hall the night of the album’s release. A picture wall with props that went with the theme of many Lil Nas X songs had students excited to dress up and take pictures to remember the moment.  

Kate Erickson, KSPU station manager, mentioned how the listening party was one of many to follow. 

“The goal in the future is to feature more student artists,” Erickson said. 

Students were excited to hear familiar upbeat songs such as “Industry Baby” and “Call Me By Your Name”. They were also very surprised and happy to listen to an outstanding balance of songs. Some of Lil Nas X’s work on this album can appeal to a larger audience rather than the select few that enjoy high energy music. 

“It was refreshing to see the different genres that were covered in the album, and there’s a song for everyone as the album has a wide range of tones,” Spilker said.

When looking at the promotions that were done prior to the release of the album, many were intrigued by Lil Nas X’s risqué social media posts that followed the release of the song “Call Me By Your Name.”

Lil Nas X was seen with a baby bump announcing his baby to be due September 17th. This promotional tactic led to conversation about his celebrity status and spread the news of his upcoming album. 

The night of the “MONTERO” worldwide release, the music video for “That’s What I Want” was also posted for the public to watch. In the video, Lil Nas X did not waste an opportunity to make yet another bold statement with his art.

The video contains scenes of Lil Nas X being taken out of a football game due to an injury and then getting intimate with his teammate. As an openly gay man, he bravely represents the LGBTQ+ community in the music industry and on social media. 

Seeing Lil Nas X openly address issues that are faced by many is a powerful way to appeal to queer individuals who are seeking representation. According to junior psychology major Mia Bell, his work may help them feel like they also have a voice in society.

“I think he is being who he is,” Bell said. “By doing that in a world like this, he is a beautiful example for people who wish they could feel that way.”

The “MONTERO” release is worth getting excited about. Lil Nas X has created music prior to “MONTERO,” but he established himself as an artistic force with this debut album. Through posting dramatic pictures and videos about his upcoming album and releasing inclusive music videos, he will be an artist to keep an eye on in the future music industry.

“In my opinion, the Montero album is a great album,” Bell said. “It really showcases Lil Nas X as an individual and a prideful person.”