Illuminating excellence: Overstreet named as 2024 Professor of the Year

Creative writing professor chosen by SPU community
Josilyn Walker
Professor Overstreet teaching in Demaray 255 in Oct. 2023.

Every year, one professor rises to the top of the student polls and takes the title of Educator of the Year. In the 2023-2024 school year, one man’s unwavering dedication, support and profound influence have become a shining beacon to the Seattle Pacific University community. His name is Jeffrey Overstreet.

For professors, mentoring many pupils can sometimes be a long journey filled with both difficulties and rewards. SPU’s Professor of the Year Award illuminates these positive traits. With the help of the official student government, the Associated Students of Seattle Pacific, SPU hopes to honor and recognize members of the hardworking faculty. 

ASSP Student Body President Rayna Martin spoke about the process of voting for a candidate.

“There are three main steps to selecting the undergraduate faculty of the year. The first step is to send out a poll for nominations and let all the undergraduates nominate a faculty member,” Martin said. “From there, the nominees get sent to the Professor of the Year committee, which sorts them out into the top five candidates based on the form. After that, they bring it to the ASSP Senate, and we choose who we feel best represents the spirit of the award.”

ASSP’s dedication to creating an open and positive learning community for students revolves around highlighting the hard work of professors and students. Martin explains one of their many hopes for students and faculty.

“We are really trying, in ASSP, to establish a culture of gratitude and giving back to people who have done great things,” Martin said. “Not just who happened to win one award, but to foster an environment where everyone feels like they’re recognized and rewarded when they bring good things to the table.” 

Professor Overstreet is a creative writing professor in SPU’s English department and is considered one of the most intriguing characters on campus. His story begins at the heart of SPU. He comes from a family of teachers, many of whom attended SPU, including his mother, father, aunt, and uncle. Overstreet explains his early years as an undergrad and his journey to considering following in his family’s footsteps.

“I was an English literature major at SPU. I didn’t take any education classes, and I planned to pursue teaching after my undergrad, but for a while after, I ended up being an editor in communications. Though, in my spare time, I was writing fiction and writing reviews of movies and music,” Overstreet said.

Over time, Overstreet became recognized for his fiction writing and pop culture-related reviews. 

“People started saying you should be teaching,” Overstreet said. “So, 20 years after graduating here, I returned to school for my master’s in creative writing. I was then qualified for teaching and unexpectedly got a job at SPU.”

Students around campus, mainly English or writing-related majors, have many things to say about their experiences with Professor Overstreet. Anna Foxworth, a first-year creative writing major, reminisces on her experience in writing and Overstreet’s influence on her confidence.

“He is so supportive and enthusiastic about his students, and I fully believe that he believes in my capabilities as a writer. Therefore, that makes me confident enough to continue to pursue my passions.” Foxworth said.

Second-year English creative writing major Susanah Maestas expressed how Overstreet helped her fall back in love with writing.

“I initially went into this academic year scared out of my mind. I saw a career in writing as something I couldn’t turn back on since there was nothing else I wanted to do. It’s hard when you hate everything you put on paper. But his classes were so encouraging that I found myself loving the good and the bad of my own writing again, and I’m more excited to pursue it as a career,” Maestas said. 

When Maestas and Foxworth heard about Overstreet’s recent nomination, they reacted with excitement. 

“He deserves it,” Foxworth said. “From the moment I met him for the first time at the admitted students preview, I got the most warm, inviting and excited vibe from him. He convinced me to switch majors before I even started attending SPU. Overall, he is just a great professor and human, and I am so grateful to have him as my advisor!”

Maestas popped in on the conversation, singing her praises for Overstreet. 

“Congratulations! He deserves and earned it, and I’m so blessed to have him as my advisor,” Maestas said. 

When hearing about his win, Professor Overstreet leaned over on his desk and let out a little chuckle, followed by a sincere nod. 

“I was very moved by that honor. I’m surrounded by professors who are making incredible sacrifices every day.” Overstreet said, “When I think about this award, I think about the incredible inspirations I have around me and how much of what I’m offering in the classroom is learned behavior from great examples.”

To students, professors can often be the highlights of an academic experience. Their consistent dedication and passion continue to illuminate the lives of many. 

“The most influential teachers have been those who teach because they love their subject. They seem eager to learn from their students and to go on learning. They don’t approach the classroom as “I am up front!” and “I am handing down my expertise to the class. Instead, they invite the class into an experience,” Overstreet said.