Seattle’s best athletes

SPU students talk about their favorite Seattle athletes throughout history

Dante Buell, Staff Writer

Michael Jordan, Kobe Bryant, Lebron James, Tom Brady, Lionel Messi, and Cristiano Ronaldo – growing up in the 21st century, these are just a select few of the elite and dominant athletes that young sports fanatics would dream to one day mirror their very own athletic play after. Seattle has a rich sports history, full of great personalities.

Stephen York, an SPU alumni, and current transfer counselor grew up in a small town by the name of Tigard, Oregon. As an avid runner, York ran cross-country and track throughout his high school and undergraduate college career, but his favorite athlete played on the football field.

“I’m gonna say, Russell Wilson. A big reason for that is right about the time I was getting ready to graduate and leave Seattle, he came on the scene. My last year in college was the year that we won the Super Bowl. So, for me, I can remember being crowded in a friend’s house watching the game and getting so amped up for the city of Seattle,” York said.

Illustration by Rio Giancarlo

York moved all over the country after graduating from SPU. The Seahawks and Russell Wilson allowed him to stay connected to his alma mater.

“I just love his ability to scramble, extend the pocket and run on certain plays,” York said. “It always felt like we had hope. I felt like Russel Wilson was such an integral part of extending my hope as a fan.”

From Monroe, Washington, senior Sara Day plays as an outside hitter for the Volleyball team at SPU. Her favorite athlete is Ella May Powell of the University of Washington volleyball team.

“I’ve just looked up to her for a really long time. Her work ethic and how dynamic she plays her sport is really inspiring to me,” Day said. “There’s a couple differences [between our play], but the work ethic there and her faith as well is super inspiring.”

Freshman Brit Dalberg is a current member of the women’s rowing team. Coming from Zionsville, Indiana, Dalberg has not had a whole lot of time to really immerse herself into the sports culture of Seattle. Her favorite Seattle athlete is a former rower for the Huskies and current professor at SPU.

“I would say Peg Achterman. I recently got to meet her. She was on the national winning team for UW Rowing and she was super cool,” Dalberg said. “Normally to be a rower, you have to be really tall, so it was awesome to hear that she wasn’t the tallest [on the team] and still was able to win an NCAA title.”

Big or small, professional or recreational, sports continue to hold a long-lasting impact on those who compete, watch and add to the cultures of cities like Seattle. As Jack Stein once said, “Sports are nothing without the fans.”